To find out what lies behind this job that makes you dream a lot of girls, Perrine explain precisely what is the job of a stylist!
« You want to do when you grow up? “:”Designer”, I said high as 3 apples, a Crayola in hand. In my young head, stylist that was to make pretty designs, see parades at the forefront and wallowing in piles of shoes all day.
In practice, it’s more complicated than that. I had the chance to work or do internships in several offices created in areas sometimes very different and it is with pleasure that I give you the manual of the perfect fashion designer ! (English, it’s very modasse.)
How do I create a collection? Who takes care of the drawings? A designer must know how to sew? Auntie Perrine enlightens your modasses budding lanterns.
Create a fashion collection
Before we begin, I would like to clarify the following process applies as well to the large retail sector as that of the high-end with the only difference that the latter emphasizes the creative process while the first promotes the sale for the benefit of the quality or originality often.
Also, in some cases, the design team is headed by a DA (artistic director), which gives guidelines and influences the aesthetic biases. Everyone has of course? We can start.
Set the theme
If the mode creates its collection of winter to summer and vice versa is because lay a collection, it’s darn long. The first step in the process is to define the topic, the conductive collection line.
Creating offices rely on the offices of style that list the future trends in the sacrosanct bibles of fashion: the trend book. Colors, materials, colours and textures… the stylist has to set its own history by drawing in its valuable catalogues.
She creates her own book of research and its pages of atmosphere – tell moodboards in fashion jargon. These are large pictures of inspirations covered panels, all combined areas: design, architecture, photography, nature, sport, automotive, food, dog in the neighbor… everything is good to set the overall universe of the collection.
An example of a moodboard: photos define colors (pastel), textures (light, fluid) and the general universe of the collection (feminine, flirtatious)
Once the theme and the colourful range have been validated by the rest of the team or the DA, the stylist goes in search of the fabrics from the collection from suppliers of textiles or via international trade shows.
The idea is to define a first selection fast enough to start the sketch because contrary to popular belief, is not drawing that influences the fabric: material gives indications on the final rendering, the fallen and general shape. In some cases, the stylist is to make textile manipulations to give a concrete example to the suppliers of the expected result: be as resourceful with his 10 fingers.
Contrary to what we imagine, the stylist does not hours drawing slender silhouettes hyper worked as Karlito and other designers. In the end, it’s even rather rough: research must be quick and understandable by the entire team.
Once investigations are completed, the designer implements the collection plan.This panel displays the sketch with indications of material or color and sets the number of models to produce. The number varies depending on the sector: in the high-end, there are rarely more than 50 models by collection.
Before you send the sketch to manufacturers, the drawings are standardized on computer. It’s called technical drawings: proportions, construction details, color codes, references supplies… everything must be clear.
Notions sewing and modelling are essential: even if the stylist is not very rigorous in the face of a sewing machine, it is essential to know how assemble a garment-difficult to realize a jacket if you don’t know how to close it, double it, or set the sleeves for example.
The stylist should be able to give very specific information to the model makers dealing with the creation of the garment from paper patterns.
A versatile craft
Once all the files are sent to suppliers, office of created receives prototypes to make their own changes. Once the result is perfect, the collection is launched in production: it is the office that takes over. The stylist organizes presentations press through the showroom or parades usually in collaboration with a press office.
Contact with models, retouching templates, event organizing, negotiations with suppliers… the stylist has a very versatile job that requires the mastery of technical terms and English to communicate with everyone.
The satisfaction of this business is probably to discover real the garment has been designed: I will not deny that the profession of fashion designer is exhausting because some periods of rush (before the parades, to a few days of deadlines) or before a press presentation are grueling and social life takes a hit but the pleasure of touch or try his garment It’s worth gold.
In summary, a good stylist, to be…
- Know how to draw… or not: as long as your sketches are understandable by your team or suppliers is the main: so bad if your drawing does not break three-legged duck, Illustrator will do the rest.
- Straight talk: he must master the design software Photoshop and Illustrator, at a minimum. Often, it is the stylist who takes care of the drawings and technical records, and sometimes even patterns and prints: don’t worry, fashion schools are very well their students to computer graphics and CAD (computer aided drafting).
- Know how to handle the textile: the stylist also cut fabric, creates a mini-textiles and performs alterations. Better not be afraid of the sewing machine and the needle.
- Having the model-making and sewing notions: as said above, a good stylist is someone who knows how it goes under the seams.
- Be versatile: the job of a stylist is also carry boxes, set up shops, discuss the price of fabrics by the metre with suppliers or support models who don’t speak a word of french. Think again, the stylist don’t sit behind a computer screen all day, she runs even from around!
- Finally it takes a great deal of composure: fashion is not a relaxing environment: delays, emergencies and contingencies arrive often and usually it’s a planetary catastrophe my cherrriiie.
If after all this you are discovered a vocation for the styling, I recommend to go take a look at this article to valuable advice about studies in fashion!