Manor, Texas is a small city of approximately 8,700 people located in the eastern part of Travis County. The city is situated on the Balcones Escarpment, which is an area of hills and canyons that runs between Austin and San Antonio. The climate in Manor is hot and humid during the summer months with temperatures reaching up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, while winters remain mild with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing.
Manor was first established in 1891 as a farming community by settlers from Germany and Scotland. It quickly grew into an important economic center for the surrounding area due to its proximity to Austin and San Antonio. Its economy today still relies heavily on agriculture but has diversified over the years due to its close proximity to two major cities. Manor is also home to several tech companies as well as a number of industrial parks that employ many local residents.
Politically, Manor is part of Travis County and falls within Texas’ 25th Congressional District. Education in Manor is provided by the Manor Independent School District which consists of three elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. The district also offers a variety of extracurricular activities such as athletics, clubs, and after-school programs.
Manor is home to several landmarks including the historic Manor House, built in 1895; the Manor Cotton Gin Museum; and the Manor Public Library. The city also hosts an annual festival every spring which celebrates its history and culture with music, dance, food, and other activities. Finally, Manor is home to several parks and recreational areas such as the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge which provides visitors with opportunities to observe wildlife in their natural habitat.
Population: 1,204. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,877 (+55.9% change)
Males: 582 (48.3%), Females: 622 (51.7%)
Zip code: 78653
Median resident age: 31.9 years
Median household income: $37,500
Median house value: $58,000
Races in Manor:
- Hispanic (48.8%)
- White Non-Hispanic (33.1%)
- Other race (25.7%)
- Black (16.9%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- American Indian (2.0%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (5.5%), Irish (5.3%), German (4.5%), United States (3.2%), Swedish (1.6%).
Elevation: 528 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Neah Manor, Texas is a small town situated in the southwestern portion of the state. With a population of approximately 2000 people, Neah Manor is a friendly and welcoming place to call home. The cost of living in Neah Manor is relatively low compared to other parts of the state, making it an attractive option for those looking for affordable housing. The median home value in Neah Manor is roughly $90,000, making it one of the more affordable towns in Texas. Renting a one-bedroom apartment typically costs around $650 per month. Utilities are also relatively inexpensive, with an average monthly electric bill costing around $100 per month. There are plenty of recreational activities to enjoy in and around Neah Manor including parks, trails, and fishing spots. Shopping and dining options are limited but there are several restaurants within a short drive from town that offer delicious meals at reasonable prices. The overall cost of living in Neah Manor makes it an attractive option for those looking for an affordable place to live with access to plenty of recreational activities nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Manor
- High school or higher: 56.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Manor city
- Never married: 27.7%
- Now married: 50.2%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 12.3%
13.1% Foreign born (12.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +157 (+15.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Manor:
- SUMMIT INSTITUTE OF AUSTIN INC (about 7 miles; AUSTIN, TX)
- NORTH AUSTIN MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; AUSTIN, TX)
- AUSTIN STATE HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; AUSTIN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Manor:
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 14 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
- KILLEEN MUNI (about 52 miles; KILLEEN, TX; Abbreviation: ILE)
- ROBERT GRAY AAF (about 53 miles; FORT HOOD/KILLEEN, TX; Abbreviation: GRK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Manor:
- BIRD’S NEST (about 3 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: 6R4)
- TAYLOR MUNI (about 18 miles; TAYLOR, TX; Abbreviation: T74)
- GEORGETOWN MUNI (about 24 miles; GEORGETOWN, TX; Abbreviation: GTU)
Amtrak stations near Manor:
- 15 miles: AUSTIN (250 N. LAMAR BLVD.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: TAYLOR (118 E. 1ST ST.). Services: free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
According to andyeducation, Texas has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Manor:
- AUSTIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,819)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN (about 13 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 46,503)
- SAINT EDWARD’S UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,870)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY HARDIN-BAYLOR (about 51 miles; BELTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,257)
- CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 54 miles; KILLEEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,777)
- TEMPLE COLLEGE (about 54 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,054)
Public high school in Manor:
- MANOR H S (Students: 779; Location: 312 MURRAY AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Manor:
- MANOR MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 678; Location: 312 MURRAY AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MANOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 434; Location: 312 MURRAY AVE; Grades: PK – 05)
- EXCEL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 38; Location: 312 MURRAY AVE; Grades: 06 – 12)
- TRAVIS CO J J A E P (Students: 2; Location: 312 MURRAY AVE; Grades: 06 – 12)